Ontario Student Nutrition Programs provide nutritious meals and/or snacks to school-age children and youth and are funded, in part, by the Ontario Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services (MCCSS).
Programs are encouraged to follow the 2020 Student Nutrition Program Nutrition Guidelines and:
• Create an environment where all children and youth feel welcomed
• Encourage children and youth to pay attention to their hunger and fullness cues
• Offer foods with the most nutritional value
• Safely handle, store and prepare foods and beverages
• Create simple menus for nutritious breakfasts, morning meals, lunches, and snacks
Members of ODPH School Nutrition workgroup worked with an external agency (OPHA) to develop these Guidelines on behalf of the Ministry. They reflect current research and best practices in healthy eating and align with Canada’s Food Guide (2019).
RAISING THE BAR FOR YOUR STUDENT NUTRITION PROGRAM
Online Learning Modules:
This online course is designed for program coordinators, school staff, administrators, and volunteers who are delivering and/or interested in student nutrition programs. Completing these learning modules will help you to understand and apply the MCCSS Student Nutrition Program Nutrition Guidelines.
The online course consists of three learning modules. The modules should be completed in order and work best on a laptop or desktop computer.